guss-hackers

[guss-hackers] Progress!

From: Johan Rydberg
Subject: [guss-hackers] Progress!
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:13:04 +0100

Hi,

I would just like to let you know that I'm currently rewriting (major) parts
of GUSS.  There are several reasons for this.  Here are some of them;

 1) The old code was to messy and contained several bugs.

2) Add a RTL-stylish front-end for writing machine descriptions. The syntax is based upon GCC's machine descriptions, which would make it easier for
    people with knowledge of GCC to implement a target.

 3) Add and verify support for 64-bit targets.

4) Embedd libguile into the simulator, making it easier to extend the simulator.

And of course the usual reasons;

 4) The code was to ugly for me to look at,

 5) It was not fast enough!

The new code is not commited to the CVS repository, and it will probably take some time before it is done (since the lack of interest, and my lack of internet connection).

As reference targets I use an OpenRISC 1000 implementation (OpenRISC 1200) and a 64-bit MIPS. Currently the targets just can execute simple insns, but as soon
as the simulator core gets somewhat stable they will be extended.