h-source-users

[H-source-users] h-node and UEFI Secure Boot, how should we move?

From: mattij . lammi
Subject: [H-source-users] h-node and UEFI Secure Boot, how should we move?
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 17:57:11 +0300 (EEST)

Hi, this is lammi87.

I added the following post to the issue 138
(http://www.h-node.org/issues/view/en/138/1/32f22fa8e682728adae98b4d4fc3fbd8)
about UEFI on h-node:

Thanks for your messages Antonio and Michal. It seems this issue is more
complicated than I thought.
BIOS, UEFI, boot firmware and other names refer to what is exactly the same thing for our
purposes. Maybe call it "boot >firmware" and explain that BIOS and UEFI
implementations are boot firmware?

I agree. Maybe we should change the "does it have free BIOS?" entry to:

does it have free boot firmware?                yes
                                                                        no

not-specified

and add a link to the wiki/help page where we explane what we mean by "boot firmware",
that is BIOS, UEFI, Coreboot, etc. This way, we can keep the devices' pages simple. They would
become a mess if we would add all the entries I first suggested and even more if we would add
similar entries to all other non-free "boot firmware".

This issue is a bit complicated so we absolutely need to improve our wiki/help pages
about this matter. We must specify really clearly and easy to understand way which
"boot firmware" is free and which is not (UEFI vs. UEFI with Restricted Boot).

What do you think?