h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] tentative of synthesis: parameters, box size, particle n

From: Pierre de Buyl
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] tentative of synthesis: parameters, box size, particle number
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 22:10:43 +0200

Le 15 sept. 2011 à 21:28, Konrad Hinsen a écrit :
> On 14 sept. 11, at 09:39, Pierre de Buyl wrote:
>
>> 2. box size
>>   - The offset should be given, each in their "H5MD containter" with step
>> and time.
>>   - How different is what we do with respect to, for instance, PDB or
>> gromacs ?
>>      see the manual of gromacs, chapter 3, §3.1 and §3.2 at
>> http://www.gromacs.org/ second news item or direct link
>> ftp://ftp.gromacs.org/pub/manual/manual-4.5.4.pdf
>>     pdb http://www.wwpdb.org/documentation/format33/sect8.html
>
> I don't know about Gromacs, but all about PDB. It's a format for storing
> crystal conformations, so they follow crystallography conventions. It's also
> a format for single conformations, so time dependence is not an issue.
>
> The size of the unit cell is given by the three edge lengths (a, b, c, in
> Angstrom), and the shape by three angles (alpha, beta, gamma, in degrees).
> The first lattice vector points along the x axis, the second lies in the x-y
> plane. Symmetry is specified by the name of the symmetry group, which implies
> a set of symmetry transformations and constraints on the unit cell shape, but
> those are supposed to be known (tabulated), so they are not stored explicitly.
>
> The PDB conventions are not very practical for simulations. Simulation
> programs need the lattice vectors, not their lenghts and angles. The use of
> named symmetry groups isn't practical either, unless we want all simulation
> programs to incorporate the tables published by the IUCr (International Union
> of Crystallographers).

Does anyone see a limitation to use the scheme proposed by Felix ?
box
  \-- offset
    \-- value [var][d] e.g., (-L_x/2, -L_y/2, -L_z/2)
    \-- time [var]
    \-- step [var]
  \-- edges
    \-- value [var][d][d] e.g., ((L_x, 0, 0), (0, L_y, 0), (0, 0, L_z))
    \-- time [var]
    \-- step [var]

The more elaborate scheme seems overkill.
We could think of setting an attribute to the "box" group that would indicate
the type of box information.
box
  +-- kind = [ cubic | triclinic ]
  +-- time_dependent = [ 0 | 1 ]

Then, future revision could easily adapt it by adding box types.

>>   - I am not in favour of storing in fractional coordinates, for my data at
>> least. How would that work ?
>
> It's possible, not but practical. I don't see any advantage. Fractional
> coordinates are good for symmetry operations because that makes them time
> independent in all practically relevant situations. Most MD simulations don't
> need symmetry operations anyway.
Ok, this is set then.

>>   - If I understood correctly, the latest suggestion is to store, for each
>> time frame, a set of transformations and a shift ?
>
> No, only once for the whole trajectory.
OK.

>> Thanks for your various suggestions, and sorry if it looks like I'm not
>> understanding everything. I am not familiar myself with non-cubic boxes,
>> understand that they are very useful in many situations, and at the same
>> time would like to keep "H5MD 0.1" simple enough.
>
> Non-cubic is a must for macromolecules. Cuboid is the minimal requirement,
> but many simulations also need non-orthogonal boxes.
Triclinic seems to be a requirement. Is more required ?

Pierre

Pierre de Buyl
Chemical Physics Theory Group - University of Toronto
Physique des Systèmes Complexes et Mécanique Statistique - Université Libre de
Bruxelles
web: http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~pdebuyl/
Tel: +1-416-946-0047