health-dev

Re: [Health-dev] Roadmap gnuhealth (was: Force removal of gnuhealth* pac

From: Emilien Klein
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] Roadmap gnuhealth (was: Force removal of gnuhealth* packages in sid?)
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 16:16:00 +0200

> [...]
>> - Upstream indicated [3] that they see not much benefit in having the
>> Debian package manage the database, but would rather want the Debian
>> package to just install the files, created the OS user (which runs
>> contradictory to your preference to run only one Tryton server under
>> the user provided by the tryton-server package) and install bashrc
>> files for that user, in effect mimicking the upstream-provided
>> installation script (motivation is uniformity in installation, user
>> under which the service runs, etc. over all installations of GNU
>> Health, regardless of the distribution on which it was installed)
>> - I don't see the benefit of providing a package which basically only
>> drops the source file on the disk, but for which the rest of the setup
>> needs to be done manually. I do understand this could be useful to
>> some users, and in fact the original form of the package provided that
>> (just respond "no" to the question if the database should be managed
>> by the installation process), but just uncompressing a tarball is not
>> what a Debian package should look like in my opinion.
>>
>> [3] https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2014/03/msg00208.html
>
> Since I had a similar discussion with the GNUmed authors where I had the
> same packagers attitude as you Emilien and the GNUmed authors followed
> the same idea as GNUHealth authors I think there must be something
> behind it.  I actually realised that in the end it is way less work for
> me as a packager to follow their opinion which was reason enough to me
> to spend my time on other projects.  So while not beeing finally
> convinced that they are right it is implemented according to their
> recommendation anyway. :-)
>
>> That being said, looking at the number of posts in the past months on
>> the project's lists of users that have installed the software, but
>> can't make connection to the server, I remain convinced of the utility
>> of a package in Debian and derivative distributions that allow a user
>> to just install both server and client side with one command (`apt-get
>> install gnuhealth` and run the client `gnuhealth`) remains valuable,
>> definitely for people trying the software out. That's the first step
>> in making the software known, a new user can try it out rather simply.
>> Of course when you're satisfied and want to run it in PRD, you'll have
>> to think better on your deployment and backup strategy. But there's no
>> harm in e.g. having the package take an extra automatic backup of your
>> database ;)
>
> +1
>
>> I meant inclusion in the Tryton Debian archive. Similar to what you've
>> just indicated [4].
>
> What exactly is "the Tryton Debian archive".  Mathias wrote about
> "something outside main" which I actually would call a restriction I
> would not like since you will miss all the QA stuff which makes a
> package for science and business applications really valuable.

It is an APT repository (not sure what the technical term is, but I'm
sure you understand the meaning) maintained outside of Debian "to make
all Tryton releases available for the different Debian suites
[outside] the main repository of Debian. [...] Note: Those packages
are unofficial and you are using them at your own risk (as always)."
http://debian.tryton.org/debian/dists/
http://tryton.alioth.debian.org/mirror.html#why-debian-tryton-org