[Heartlogic-dev] Re: do we need to keep 'em coming?

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: do we need to keep 'em coming?
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 10:38:05 -0600 (CST)

Sorry, this one almost fell through the cracks.

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 12:36:33AM -0600, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> > Anyway, just some thoughts on increasingin involvement.  What do you
> > think?
>
> Good ideas.
>
> Accepting story submissions should probably be in 1.0.
>
> > We should probably start brainstorming these.
>
> Yes, certainly.
>
> > I'm not saying that the first few, (well, 9) items should not be identical
> > to my dissertation.  Just that if the interface were strictly like my
> > dissertation, people would be bored and never come back.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > So, I'm talking
> > about what do we have after the first 9 - 20 items (It has been a while,
> > but as I recall, each Study 3 survey has 9 items?  Each study 2 survey had
> > 18 items?
>
> Yes, Study 3 has 9 items.  The idea I had is to give people
> prizes after they complete one study.  The prize would be
> a little picture of something, like a teddy bear.  It's pretty
> silly, but it's probably worth doing.

Maybe.  I'd be more likely to say this was a good idea if there
were no mention of it.  E.g. at the start the website should not
say, "Hey, if you finish you'll get a small prize!!!!"  The
disappointment that some might feel when they find out
it was not even a teddy bear but a picture of a teddy bear
might be enough to turn them off....By contrast, if at
the end the find a silly little picture of a teddy bear,
then even the most cold-hearted soul might feel a little
warmed by such a surprise.

Also, a 8 year old girl would like a teddy bear much more
than a jaded 50 year old man.  In other words, the surprise
at the end, would be more effective if matched to the personality
of the user.  Seems awefully difficult to do this.

Whatever.

Bill