[Heartlogic-dev] Re: perspectives or pronoun KIF model

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: perspectives or pronoun KIF model
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 08:12:02 +0530

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 12:25:06PM -0600, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 11:44:30PM -0600, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> > > For starters, can you explain this...
> > >
> > > (defconcept Individual-Intention (?i Intention)
> > >   :documentation "like Jarrold's desirability")
> > > (assert (and
> > >          (Individual-Intention Purity)   ; indifferent
> > >          (Individual-Intention Personal) ; happy
> > >          (Individual-Intention Suffer))) ; sad
> > >
> > > ...Is Purity a kind of Individual-Intention
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > and what does (?i Intention) mean?...What is being asserted?
> >
> > (assert (forall ?x
> >   (=> (Individual-Intention ?x)
> >       (Intention ?x))))
>
> Really?  The power loom statement ...
>
> (?i Intention)
>
> ...is equivalent to the power loom statement...
>
> (assert (forall ?x
>    (=> (Individual-Intention ?x)
>    (Intention ?x))))
>
> ...?
>
> If, what is (? Foobar) equivalent too?

Alone, it is like a type declaration.  If you use it
in defconcept then you get the above inference.

(defconcept Foobar-Specific (?fb Foobar))

> I fear that to really grok your power loom file I am
> going to have to grok a large book that explains powerloom
> syntax.

Or I'll rewrite it in KM ...

> > But try to get the big picture:
> >
> > 1. I am proposing a bidirectional mapping between
> > Individual-Intention and Situational-Intention.
> >
> > 2. Recall that Individual-Intention is just another terminology
> > for goal status (goal, no goal, or anti-goal).
> >
> > 3. A pair of "goal status" (two people) restrict the type
> > of situations which can arise.  These general situation
> > categories are the Situational-Intentions.
>
> This, #3, seems particularly hard to understand.

Let's go back to discussing goal status as an affective state.

> > 4. The rest of the KR model is just elaborating the details
> > of this mapping between Situational-Intention and a pair of
> > Individual-Intentions.
> >
> > 5. In practice, the Situational-Intention typically constrains
> > the verb.  For example, "person1 accepts <something> from person2".
> > "Accepts" is the Situational-Intention for this example.  In other
> > words, the verb is (to some extent) a function of the participants'
> > goal status.
> >
> > Does that help or just confuse you more?
>
> It might help a little.  Maybe include the above explanotary text in
> the powerloom file.
>
> Sorry, v general, incredibly ignorant meta question: Does power loom work?

Yes.

> I mean can you test your model and make sure it generates the desired
> inferences?

Yes, it works.

--
A new cognitive theory of emotion, http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/aleader