[Heartlogic-dev] appraiser is a participatingAgent (was Re: parameterizi

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] appraiser is a participatingAgent (was Re: parameterizing)
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 18:20:40 +0530

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 11:38:37PM -0600, William L. Jarrold wrote:

> > > Often yes.  Certainly for the 3 year old view of the world, I suppose.
> > >
> > > Then again you can be watching the 2nd Superbowl on TV and be
> > > an appraiser of it even tho it is quite a stretch to claim that you
> > > were a participatingAgent in it.
> >
> > Certainly it is a stretch to say that you are participating in the
> > situation "superbowl", however, why is it a stretch to say that you
> > are a participating-agent of the situation "watching the superbowl on
> > TV"?
>
> It isn't that much of a stretch.  We are thinking along the same lines.

OK, good.

> The overall discussion issue is: "The appraiser is one of the
> two participatinAgents."....Your WatchingSuperBowlEvent001 is a case
> in which the appraiser is also a participatingAgent.  But with my
> example, I was trying to argue that the appraiser is not necessarily
> a participatingAgent....To use a creative, fun example: In Newton's
> Watchmaker's universe, God is not a participatingAgent in
> TheUnfoldingOfEverdayEvents.  But He certainly weeps (i.e. is a
> is an appraiser) when bad stuff happens.

Well, OK.

If you insist on taking a "Devil's Advocate" attitude then I agree
that you can fabricate a fantasyland example which is an exception to
the rule.

> > In other words, I define the situation cue pragmatically as whatever
> > is going on.
>
> Yes, any good KR system should allow one to define the situation
> pragmatically.  Many times but not always the case.
>
> > How can you presume a participatingAgent who is
> > disconnected from her associated situation?
>
> The above sentence makes more sense if I read it with appraiser in place
> of participatingAgent.  If it is a typo and you have understood my
> discussion.

Yes, I should have written appraiser --- my typo.

I guess this is a leaf node.  QED, or whatever.  ;-)

--
A new cognitive theory of emotion, http://openheartlogic.org