[Heartlogic-dev] Re: roseman article on appraisals cause emotion

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: roseman article on appraisals cause emotion
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 09:34:57 +0530

On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 17:44 -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> you seemed to like that one article.  i now send you this one.
> i have not yet read it.  it should make us feel hopeful
> bc now someone has made a step towards showing that cognitive appraisal is
> not just some theoretical mumbo jumbo.  rather, it *can*
> *cause* emotion.

I read about half of it.  It is fun to hear them describe their
experimental method.  I find it quite creative.

One point I want to discuss:

"Simulation studies leave doubt about whether the cognitions manipulated
in read or imagined scenarios would case people who are actually in
those situations to feel the specified emotions."  I believe you mention
roughly the same point in section 2.4.6 of your dissertation.

In the case of human emotions (vs emotions which could be experienced by
other primates), the ability to take perspective would function more as
a way of screening experimental subjects than as an additional source of
error.  Do you follow me?

--
If you are an American then support http://fairtax.org
 (Permanently replace 50,000+ pages of tax law with about 200 pages.)