help-3dldf

[help-3dldf] Re: RE2: Run Errors

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: [help-3dldf] Re: RE2: Run Errors
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 03:47:37 +0200

Hi Glen,

> Yes, you are right. The run command was
>
> >> (gdb) run --multithread-input --multithread-output
> abc.ldf
>
> My mistake.

My point was that the "input" you showed didn't match the debugging output.

> ***
> Don't use 'gdb'? Just run outright.

Yes, but I don't think it really matters, after all.

> How do I 'selectivly' turn on debugging for that
> class's
> destructor? Are you suggesting edit the code?

Yes.   Almost every function has code that looks like this:

bool DEBUG = false; /* |true|  */

If you put your cursor between "false" and "true" and type `ESC-t', they
magically switch positions (in Emacs).  Actually, the cursor can be on the
second word (it's `transpose-words').

> I would trying changing the value of the Point
> variable 'p'
> in this sample. But, which file are you talking about
> (*.web source)?

`Point' is a class defined in the C++ source,  `point' is a type defined in
the 3DLDF language.  The same applies to `Path' and `path', `Circle' and
`circle', etc.

> Or do you mean with an input file?

I don't remember writing that, but you could do that.

> It'll have to wait till the weekend. When I can spend
> some
> time looking over the whole package. Besides, I need
> read up on MetaPost.

That's my point.  I don't think you do need to do that.  My suggestion would
be to start with the parser rules, for instance with the declarations.   Read
through, say, the rule for `point_declaration' and when you reach a function
call, read the code for that function, or at least enough so that you get an
idea of what it returns and why.  If a data type is used and you don't know
what it is, then use `grep' to find where it's defined.   This way you can
learn the code in a logical way, i.e., you can see what's really used for one
thing, e.g., a declaration in
the 3DLDF language.

Nor do I think that you need to bother with MetaPost.  It's already possible
to do quite a bit with 3DLDF.  I think it's more important that you learn how
to use _it_, whereby I mean the interactive version.
Sure, it would be great if you knew MetaPost and Autoconf and Automake and
ELISP and GPG and Libtool and Bison and ...,  but they're peripheral.  I think
you would make more progress if you read the documentation I've been working
on and putting on CVS and `sample.ldf'.   I've only just started to work on
the file `gstransf.texi', so most of it is still old text from the last
edition of the manual.  But you could read the other two.

I hope you understand that I'm not trying to tell you what to do.  These
suggestions are meant to be helpful.

Laurence

%% Local Variables:
%% mode:auto-fill