help-3dldf

[help-3dldf] Ellipsoids

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: [help-3dldf] Ellipsoids
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:33:38 +0100

Hello,

I've been thinking about how to implement `class Ellipsoid'.
This is how I'd like to do it:

class Ellipsoid
{
   Point center;

   real axis_x;
   real axis_y;
   real axis_z;

   Point x_axis_pt;
   Point y_axis_pt;
   Point z_axis_pt;

   Transform transform;

   // ...

};

If an `Ellipsoid' is constructed with no arguments for
shifting, and not subsequently transformed, it
will be centered about the origin, and `x_axis_pt',
`y_axis_pt', and `z_axis_pt' will each lie on the
corresponding axis.

My question is this:
If after one or more transformations, I want to test
whether the `Ellipsoid' is still ellipsoidal,
and assuming that the vectors (x_axis_pt - center),
(y_axis_pt - center), and (z_axis_pt - center) are all
still orthogonal, and that, for purposes of the test and
subsequent to the transformations in question,
the `Ellipsoid' has been rotated and shifted such that
`center' == (0, 0, 0) and `axis_x_pt', `axis_y_pt', and
`axis_z_pt' all lie on the corresponding axes,
will it suffice to test the Point p, such that
p == (sqrt(a^2/3), sqrt(b^2/3), sqrt(c^2/3)), where
a, b, and c are the lengths of the x, y, and z- axes of the
`Ellipsoid'?
Or is it possible
that a transformation could make the `Ellipsoid'
non-ellipsoidal while p still satifies the relation
({x_p}^2/a^2 + {y_p}^2/b^2 + {z_p}^2/b^c  == 1)?
There is no guarantee that the transformations that may be
applied to an `Ellipsoid' will be affine.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Laurence Finston