help-3dldf

[help-3dldf] Web animations

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: [help-3dldf] Web animations
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 16:10:29 +0200

Hello Nobre (and others),

I'm sorry to bother you, but I have a problem, I haven't been able
to solve it by myself, and it's something you know how to do.
I'd really appreciate it if you (or somebody else) could help me, or
at least point me in the right direction.

I've recently created a set of sequential drawings illustrating
a polygon passing through another polygon to illustrate surface
hiding, which is what I've been working on lately.  The images are
at
`http://www.gnu.org/software/3dldf/cdsmpls.html',
if anyone wants to see them.  I thought it would be nice to make an
animation, like you have at
`http://matagalatlante.org/nobre/aneemate/nodocs/aneematepage.html'

I was able to convert the PostScript files to ppm, and it didn't fail
when I tried to use ppmtompeg to create a movie, but only the first image
was displayed when I tried to play it, i.e., no animation.

I did this just by trying to imitate what one of your scripts from the
ANEEMATE distribution does.  The system I was using doesn't have `mpost',
so I wasn't able to generate the examples.  The `mv1' file included in
the subdirectory was played back correctly.

Any help and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.

On another topic, a few weeks ago I had a more thorough browse through
your web pages.  You've done many interesting things with MetaPost, and
they're quite different from what I've done, using tools I've never used.
I found the idea of scanning photos and converting the bitmap data to MP
very interesting.  Someday I'd like to try using this method to scan plans
and elevations and convert them to 3DLDF.

Laurence