help-3dldf

[help-3dldf] Re: HELP TO INSTALL 1.2.0.0 RELESASE.

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: [help-3dldf] Re: HELP TO INSTALL 1.2.0.0 RELESASE.
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:43:46 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, MX wrote:

> Laurence, I am confused...

Then I'll explain.

> Always the same error in another place, I guess.

Well, sort of.  `create_new()' is a template function.  With GCC, the
definition of a template function must be available in every compilation
unit where an instantiation takes place.  That is, if I use
`create_new<Point>' in `points.web', the template definition must be known
in `points.web'.  In order to do this, I put the definitions of template
functions in the header files.  Later, the linker removes the duplicate
definitions when creating the executable.  If you get to that point, you
will see that some files are recompiled a few times, with calls to the
linker in between.

While `io.web' (where `Scanner_Type' is defined) is now processed before
`creatnew.web', I thought I could get away with leaving the order in which
the header files are included the way it was in all of the files that
include both `io.h' and `creatnew.h'.  This is obviously not the case.

I will now correct this error.  It's not difficult, just tedious, and it
will take me a few minutes.  I'll let you know when I'm done.

Laurence