help-3dldf

Re: [help-3dldf] installation problem with 3DLDF

From: lfinsto1
Subject: Re: [help-3dldf] installation problem with 3DLDF
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:25:44 +0100 (CET)

>> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, address@hidden wrote:

> In INDIA, there are lots of jobs for programmers expert at using C++, not
> to mention that Indian software industry lacks good C++ programmers. Even
> I have contacted by 2 companies this week only because of C++ skills but
> they ain't came up with nothing yet :\

I hope you find something soon.

> but then I am confused. I am at a point where I no longer need  basic C++
> textbooks. I feel happy with C++ Reference Manual like Stroustrup.

There is actually an ARM (Annotated Reference Manual) for C++, too,
written by Stroustrup and one or two other people.  (The main author is
someone else, but I can't recall her name at present.)  It is somewhat
out-of-date, but still worth owning.

> I want
> to become a C++ coding contributor, I want to master C++ and for that I
> need to leave books and work on some real-life code. For that , eLynx,
> CAT++ and 3DLDF were choices and I chose 3DLDF. I don't know where I am
> going :(

My suggestion would be to work on something smaller and simpler.  It also
would be easier to work on a newer project where there's not so much
existing code that you would have to read.  The GNU webpages and Savannah
both have lists of projects that are looking for help.

However, if you're determined to learn the code of GNU 3DLDF with a view
to contributing to it, I'm not going to stop you.  I don't recommend doing
this because the package is large, complex, difficult and hardly anybody
is interested in it.  It would probably take you at least a year to
understand the code well enough to work on it.  It's an application for a
purpose that you're not interested in.  It probably won't help you find a
job.  There are also conditions attached to making contributions that
we've discussed before.  However, what you choose to do is entirely up to
you.

Laurence