Re: [Help-bash] Redirecting both stdout and stdin to a file

From: Pierre Gaston
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Redirecting both stdout and stdin to a file
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 08:36:54 +0200

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 2:25 AM, Peng Yu <address@hidden> wrote:
> BTW, it seems that the word "redirection" is little bit misleading.

I kinda agree on this, I also think the same about the notation ">".
It works fine for the basic "> file" case but does not really convey
the meaning of 2>&1. Of course it's there for so long that it's not
likely to change. Besides I'm not really sure what a better
alternative might be, the manual does say "duplicate" but it's easy to
overlook.

you might like this article(shameless plug):
http://wiki.bash-hackers.org/howto/redirection_tutorial