[Help-bash] Capturing crash using stderr redirection

From: suvayu ali
Subject: [Help-bash] Capturing crash using stderr redirection
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 00:53:00 +0100

Hi bash experts/users,

I am trying to run a job on an SL 5.7 node which is crashing (some
malloc problem). So I wanted to capture the crash by redirecting
stderr to my log file like this:

$ job_command <args> &> log &

But everything except the crash is recorded in log. Without any
redirection, I see the crash on my terminal. Right now I have worked
around it by using the logging feature in screen. This is with bash
3.2.25(1)-release. Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Thanks a lot for any ideas,

--
Suvayu