Re: [Help-bash] opposite of 'shift'

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] opposite of 'shift'
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 09:15:18 -0500

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 08:09:37AM -0600, Peng Yu wrote:
> If other languages have it, why not bash can not have it?

Because bash is a SHELL, not a PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE.

> If many
> users end up having to write up its own version of the function for
> the same purpose, why not adding to the language.

I've been writing Bash scripts for 10 or 15 years now, and I have never
once written an unshift function, nor ever felt a NEED to do so.

I would ask "What are you doing, that you think unshift is the answer to"
but I know you won't answer that question, so I won't even bother asking
it.  You're off in cult space again.  You see a feature that Bash does
not have, and you want to bitch about the fact that Bash does not have it,
and you want to advocate for Bash to add it, never once taking into account
that the feature is not actually USEFUL for any real-life purpose.