Re: [Help-bash] Is SHELL supposed to be the path of the current shell?

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Is SHELL supposed to be the path of the current shell?
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 12:11:14 -0400

On 6/27/12 11:23 AM, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I though SHELL should point to the path of the current shell. But it
> seems not the case. Does anybody know what it is?

Historically, it's the user's login shell.  login(1) sets it and puts it
in the environment, which means it's inherited by child processes,
including the shell.  Remote login servers like sshd/rshd/telnetd do the
same, as do terminal emulators like screen.

Programs use it if they invoke commands on the user's behalf.

BASH is the shell variable you're probably looking for.

Chet

Chet Ramey, ITS, CWRU    address@hidden    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/