[Help-bash] Usage of $BASH_COMMAND inside an auto retry function? Is the

From: Patrick Schleizer
Subject: [Help-bash] Usage of $BASH_COMMAND inside an auto retry function? Is there an expanded $BASH_COMMAND?
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 01:25:00 +0000

Hi,

I am using $BASH_COMMAND in a build script inside an ERR trap to
implement auto retry. (Some stuff temporarily fails due to network
issues but works on second attempt.)

Two things do not work well with $BASH_COMMAND.

a) When the last command contained variables. I.e.

some_variable="--some-switch"
apt-get $some_variable

Then BASH_COMMAND would just contain 'apt-get' but not '--some-switch'.
Is there an expanded variable similar to BASH_COMMAND that would hold
'apt-get --some-switch'?

b) Will not be possible to repeat a failed pipe command. For example:
echo something | apt-get

Then BASH_COMMAND will hold only 'apt-get'. Is there a variable that
holds the full command 'echo something | apt-get' so it cold be retried?

I guess alternatively I could use a loop that counts to two or three and
then `break`s. However, I don't really like that, since that complicates
the code. A general purpose ERR trap that has a auto retry feature seems
much nicer.

Another alternative would be to add a wrapper function in front of each
command that should be tried to auto retry. That would work, but would
also not look as clean.

That is why I am asking if it is sensible to use $BASH_COMMAND inside an
auto retry function or if there is there an expanded $BASH_COMMAND.

Cheers,
Patrick