Re: [Help-bash] `set -v` difference in () vs not in ()

From: Mike McClain
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] `set -v` difference in () vs not in ()
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 20:43:34 -0700

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 08:27:24AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 09, 2018 at 05:32:23PM -0500, Peng Yu wrote:
> > -v      Print shell input lines as they are read.
>
> Which is almost entirely useless.  It doesn't help you debug a script.
> I don't know why people keep trying to use it.
>
> I could see it maybe possibly helping Chet debug bash.  But not a script.

Hi Greg,
    While I don't doubt for a minute that you know what you're talking
about, I don't.
    How is this different than an echo ""? The bash version of the
proverbial 'print statement' used by programmers everywhere?
Thanks,
Mike
--
Today is International Disturbed People's Day
Please send an encouraging message to a disturbed friend.