Re: [Help-bash] behavior of -o pipefail

From: Christof Warlich
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] behavior of -o pipefail
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 19:37:45 +0100

Am 29.10.2018 um 19:17 schrieb Chet Ramey:
My bad, I took another look at your message. The reason that pipefail
makes the rightmost non-zero exit status the status of the pipeline is
also historical. It's what ksh93 did, and therefore what the folks
involved in a discussion about multiple implementations of pipefail
converged on. This happened back in mid-2001, as part of a series of
messages about features to propose to Posix for standardization.

Ok. But can we agree that this converged decision (to return the last instead of the first non-zero exit status) was rather unfortunate (for the very reason that I pointed out before)?