$x has no assigned type

From: james
Subject: $x has no assigned type
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 02:15:53 +1000

I had declared some tokens with

%token <foo> BAR

and still bison warned me that $x had no assigned type when I worked with it
in the action code section after the parser had recognised a rule.

I don't know if this is the right way to do it, or should I have used %type?
I thought %type was only for lvalues of the rules themselves, say like a
calculator that uses $$ in a calculation. None of my $$ thingies are usable
pieces of data.

Does this warning matter?

E.g.

%union {
    char c;
    int i;
    double d;
    char *s;
}

%token <s> STRING
%token <c> CHAR

and with the lexer sticking things in the yylval as it went along.

James