RE: Problems with multithreading and slow compilation

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: RE: Problems with multithreading and slow compilation
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:39:47 +0200

At 11:15 -0400 2004/07/08, Urdaneta, Alfonso E (N-Summitt Technologies) wrote:
>> Only in museums and places like that. If you want to donate me a more
>> recent one, I am willing to accept. :-)
>
>When you say G2, I assume you're talking about the PPC 603 series right
>?

Right. I figure that the G in G3-G5 that Apple/Motorola/IBM speaks about is
a short for "generation RISC CPU". There came a first and a second series
before the GX notation showed up. My CPU is called PowerPC 601, which I
thought(?) belonged to the second generation. I thought that the G3 CPU
would be too slow for the new UNIX based MacOS X, which was one reason for
not upgrading, if I now had a working combination; another was that this OS
change 9->X was so big, it was better to wait for some time until the bugs
where ironed out. The latest MacOS X.3 has all UNIX, including X-windows,
and all Mac's sold have at least a G4, so it may then be time to upgrade.
:-)

  Hans Aberg