RE: Using a Flex -+ lexer with Bison? Bison Class generation?

From: Urdaneta, Alfonso E (N-Summitt Technologies)
Subject: RE: Using a Flex -+ lexer with Bison? Bison Class generation?
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 13:15:23 -0400

> Do you mind expanding on how to do this, or pointing me to a
> place that explains?

http://www.gnu.org/software/flex/manual/html_mono/flex.html#SEC19

w.r.t. thread safety - I think what you want is a "pure parser".  this is a
bison option.

> >Real men use C though.
>
> Yes, C is nice for lots of stuff, but we have a large C++
> code base, and I'm not really familiar with dealing with
> Thread safety and multiple instances in C.

well, that comment was initially a joke, sorry if it didn't seem that way.

On a more serious note, my project is ~200 C++ classes, and I talk to flex and
bison in C.  The concerns you express have nothing to do with C++, but rather
the code that flex and bison generate.  C++ code is not magically thread safe.
Just as an aside, it has been my experience, that C++ support for flex and
bison is/was an afterthought, and I have found it easier to use the C than the
C++.  YMMV.

--
I'm alfonso e. urdaneta, and I approve this message.