Re: Bison version 1.875e available for testing

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: Re: Bison version 1.875e available for testing
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:23:26 +0100

-------------------
> Laurence Finston <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> * New directive: %initial-action.
> >>   This directive allows the user to run arbitrary code (including
> >>   initializing @$) from yyparse before parsing starts.
> >>

> > Does this make it possible to declare local automatic
> > variables in `yyparse()'?
>
> Sorry, no.

Do the Bison maintainers and developers think this would be a useful feature
to implement in a future version?

Currently, I use a CWEB section called
`@<Common declarations for rules@>' and include it in almost every rule.   I
intend to include it in all rules, but I haven't done so yet.   I currently
need it in order to make debugging and error output thread-safe, but I may
need it in the future for other purposes.  Since my package can have multiple
instances of `yyparse()' running concurrently in multiple threads, I can't use
`static' variables unless I protect them with mutexes, which would reduce
concurrency.

Laurence