Re: x + (y) + z

From: Frank Heckenbach
Subject: Re: x + (y) + z
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 04:56:12 +0100

Derek M Jones wrote:

> The statement (y)+z can be parsed as casting
> +z to the type y, or as adding y to z.  A couple of
> %dprecs solve this problem (I think the cast is the
> common case for - and a binary expression for +).

What the "common case" is doesn't really matter since a correct
parser should be able to recognize all valid inputs, not only the
most common ones. So if I understand right what you plan, this would
all be just heuristics which don't really solve the problem.

What C compilers usually do AFAIK is to let the lexer return a
different token for type names which disambiguates declarations as
well as this case.

Frank

--
Frank Heckenbach, address@hidden