Re: Question about "Conditions for Using Bison" in Bison 2.0 document

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Question about "Conditions for Using Bison" in Bison 2.0 documentation
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:23:43 +0100

This is most likely an error: The other skeleton files did not exist at the
time that stuff was written. Akim Demaille is resposnible for the C++ file
and Paul Hilfinger for the GLR file. They probably forgot to insert the
correct copyright. If so, this is a Bug-Bison issue.

At 14:28 +0100 2005/03/09, Michel Rosien wrote:
>    Hello,   I have read the "Conditions for Using Bison" on  page 3 of the
Bison 2.0 documentation. The first lines say:   <quote> As of Bison version
1.24, we have changed the  distribution terms for yyparse to permit using
Bison's output in nonfree  programs when Bison is generating C code for
LALR(1) parsers <end quote>   Does this mean that this only applies when
using the skeleton file yacc.c and that this NOT applies when using the
skeleton files glr.c or lalr1.cc? This would mean that you can not make glr
parsers (%glr-parser) or c++ parsers if you want to use the output in
nonfree  programs.   The last lines of the "Conditions for using Bison"
mention:  <quote> You can tell whether the exception applies to your  '.c'
output file by inspecting it to see whether it says  "As a special
exception, when this file is copied  by Bison into a Bison output file, you
may use that output file without  restriction." <end quote>   If I inspect
the skeleton files yacc.c , glr.c and  lalr1.cc I see that only yacc.c
contains this text.   Is this correct? If so, could you explain why this
distinction is made?   Regards,