Re: Flex/Bison: which version to use?

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Flex/Bison: which version to use?
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 15:01:57 +0200

At 11:28 +0000 2005/06/13, Frans Englich wrote:
For my project, written in C++, I simply downloaded the latest versions(at
least at that time); I use Bison 2.0, and Flex 2.5.31.

Those are the latest official versions. For Bison, there is a test version 2.0a, you may want to try out, to make sure the next release works for you:
  ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/bison/bison-2.0a.tar.gz

Does it matter what version one uses? What is recommended? For what scenarios
does version matter(portability, programming language, functionality, etc)?
(if at all)

Typically, only the last official version is supported. If you have problems with an earlier version, people helping will not remember those versions, and don't expect there will be bug fix; more likely, it has already been reported and fixed in a later version.

If one needs bug fixes, sometimes one may need to pick down the latest alpha or from the CVS. I did that with Flex on Mac OS 10.3.9.

Another question; I noticed that I had "flex++" installed, as well as that
"bison++" exists, after a quick googling. Are those "++" versions established
software which people use? What are their advantages? When should I need to
think about whether I should use the "++" programs?

Those are independent programs, supposedly old. Bison and Flex do not have anything with them to do, what I know.
--
  Hans Aberg