Re: Exceeded limits of %dprec/%merge?

From: Derek M Jones
Subject: Re: Exceeded limits of %dprec/%merge?
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 23:37:47 +0100

Joel,

In a production environment the first thing I would do is replace
yyreportAmbiguity.  I would want the 'user' to see a more 'meaningful'
message and also I would want to be able to recover (ie, pick one
of the parses) and continue.

If you're waiting until you reach the time of yyreportAmbiguity, I think the existing %dprec and %merge should be able to handle all that.

I may think I have caught all the ambiguities/conflicts that can occur.
However, as a fail safe I would want to install my own version of
yyreportAmbiguity, not least to print out information about where to
report the error, give line number information, etc.

Also, what is wrong with using my_yyreportAmbiguity to resolve an
ambiguity?  For my current problem I can rewrite the grammar to stop
it happening, but this might not always be the case.  There may be
situations where resolving the issue in my_reportAmbiguity provides
a much neater solution.

--
Derek M. Jones                              tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd                      mailto:address@hidden