Re: Using %printer

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Using %printer
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:05:38 +0200

>>> "Tim" == Tim Van Holder <address@hidden> writes:

 > I don't see how _bison_ can do this with any accuracy

Well, with enough insight on locations, I don't see why it couldn't.
Of course it requires changes.  One possibility is the one you
mention, which is quite tractable for small files, but becomes quite
weird for smaller ones.

Besides (unless you attach the input lines in the locations, with all
the memory management issues that it generates), that would work only
for parse errors, while I was thinking about a more general framework
with additional passes, say type checking.  In that case, accurate
locations (which means full path, and maybe simply a flag stating that
the input is no longer available) can help the error reporting in
later passes.