Re: warning: unused value: $3

From: Joel E. Denny
Subject: Re: warning: unused value: $3
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:12:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 address@hidden wrote:

> > in semantic actions at any level in the parse tree.  Bison would have to
> > check every possible expansion of every possible RHS symbol.  That
> > implementation seems like more work than I want to do.
> ... but how hard would it be to check just one level ?

Not as hard surely, but not trivial.  If warning about just the current
rule is misleading, arbitrarily choosing to go only one level down seems
just as confusing or more confusing in general.  Then again, I try to
avoid mid-rules, $0, and $-n, so maybe I don't have the right feel for
this.  I think we need input from other users to get a better feel for
what's common.

> > What if we simply add an option to turn this warning off globally?
> I think that for my development, I will just do a dummy reference to $3

Ok, if that's satisfactory for you, maybe others will be fine with it too.