Re: improving yysyntax_error()

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: improving yysyntax_error()
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 00:22:42 +0200

It happened 21 Jun 2007, at 22:51, that Christian Schoenebeck wrote:

Es geschah am Thursday, 21. June 2007 22:15 als Hans Aberg schrieb:
With "intergrated type completion support" I mean a convenient way
for parser
developers (or actually interpreter developers) to let the user
"complete"
the current input upon the current parser state, in case there is
only one
possible shift transition, that is for highly redundant languages.

This has been discussed here. One really need LR(1) for that, because
LALR(1) compacts the states in way that the error tokens may not
appear until some reductions have been performed (And so causing the
same problem if one wants to find the completion tokens directly from
the states).

And were exactly is the problem about that? I mean one just has to traverse the possible transitions "virtually", including reductions to retrieve the error tokens then. Is it the bad runtime effeciency or am I missing something important? Seems there is no public archive of this list, so you cannot point
me to the respective thread, can you?

Just getting some willing figuring out the details and implementing it. I mentioned it in comp.compilers to somebody investigating the problem, so it could be that it is already underway.

  Hans Aberg