Re: About the FOR loop semantic action

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: Re: About the FOR loop semantic action
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:46:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, address@hidden wrote:

> Ilyes Gouta wrote:
>
> > Hmm.. So bison is able to read from data buffers instead of a FILE*.
> > How can I achieve that?
>
> I don't remember off-hand.  It's documented in the manual, or you can look
> in my source code.  It involves `yyin'.

Sorry, I was confused.  Input seems to be a matter for the scanner rather
than the parser.  I didn't find much about this in the Bison manual, so I
think I meant something in the Flex manual.  While I do use Flex in the
3DLDF package, I don't use it in combination with the parser.

The point is, you can read from whatever you want:  a C++ `string',
a C++ `istream', an array of `chars' or a pipe.  You could
even read from a source using a file descriptor.  (These are all the
possible sources that occur to me, but perhaps I'm forgetting something.)

You could even generate tokens directly or indirectly from your actions,
as I described before.

Laurence