Re: How to learn bison efficiently if I want to generate parse in C++?

From: Philip Herron
Subject: Re: How to learn bison efficiently if I want to generate parse in C++?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 06:11:21 +0000

On 02/01/2010 04:22, John Levine wrote:
I want to learn to generate parser in C++. However, the book by Levine
only mentioned C++ in the last chapter, Chapter 9. All the examples in
Chapter 1-8 are in C. Instead of reading the book in order, could
somebody let me know if there is a faster way to learn bison to
generate parser in C++?
Nearly everything it says about C parsers also apply to C++ parsers,
since nearly any C program is also a C++ program.  Just read the book,
you'll learn lots of useful stuff.

Yep John is right nothing changes on the bison side you just write your own code different since its a different language, even though C++ is really a very different language to C, though i don't have much experience with C++ parsers i am just an old man at heart using emacs, C and perl :P

Though note it seems a C++ parser wants to be in its own class and might affect how non-terminal rules return values etc or tokens static data is accessed though you'll just have to look at examples.

The bison manual is very good, though i have heard that o'reilly book isnt that great i got the Lex and Yacc o'reilly book it was very good, short and sweet.