Re: RFC: creating a bison-announce list

From: Uxio Prego
Subject: Re: RFC: creating a bison-announce list
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 09:19:06 +0100

Hi Simon,

> On 27 Dec 2018, at 04:29, Simon Richter <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> [...] Setting up a CI
> system that pulls "experimental" Bison into a chroot and test-compiles a
> project there is doable with medium effort, but we'd have to actively
> convince people to do that, and package maintainers would have to be on
> board.

Just in case you missed it, Akim set up some Travis
pipelines [1].

> [...]

Maybe simply learning from past mistakes and tailoring some
post build scripts emulating actual corner use cases does the
trick.

Thumb up for an announce list, only if you can handle it with
ease. In some previous life I found announce lists a helpful
facility in order to track changes of depended free and open
source software.

Instead of rushing versions, establish release candidates.
This won't help too much as per stated in the thread, but won't
do harm and may catch some bug who knows. If you worry
about tag hell, you don't really need annotated tags for
release candidates, or even to have them as long lived tags.
Don't be sorry for your users about iterating quickly the bugfix
part of the version number. You are who bear the actual costs,
by acting promptly when breaking something. Thank you.

Regards,

[1]: https://travis-ci.com/akimd/bison/builds/95932137