Re: Mirroring / distributing large amounts of data

From: Adrian Phillips
Subject: Re: Mirroring / distributing large amounts of data
Date: 05 Jul 2002 16:25:36 +0200

    Daniel> Hi, we are using Cfengine in a environment where we need
    Daniel> to copy large amounts of data from one machine to
    Daniel> another. There are mainly to scenarios: software
    Daniel> distribution (rpm packages and tarballs) and mirroring for
    Daniel> a failover cluster.

Large as in ? I use copy for the whole cfengine "setup" from one
machine to a backup, approximately 1GB which takes some minutes. I can
understand anyone trying to anything more than this having problems.

    Daniel> One way would be to use RSync. That is what we would do in
    Daniel> this environment if we had no Cfengine. But as we have
    Daniel> some security issues and rsync would require at least a
    Daniel> minimal root acces from the mirroring machine, we would
    Daniel> prefere to use Cfengine.

    Daniel> Another reason for using Cfengine to copy the data is the
    Daniel> possibility to have services restarted depending on the
    Daniel> copy...

    Daniel> Unfortunately Cfengine seems to be very slow when doing
    Daniel> such things.  This raises the question if anyone else
    Daniel> tried to use Cfengine in this manner and what his
    Daniel> experience is like?

One thing I'l like to do if possible was link in librsync and have
some additional option to copy to make it use it instead. How much
work this is and how much it will help I have no idea.

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Your mouse has moved.