Re: keeping track of clients

From: David J. Bianco
Subject: Re: keeping track of clients
Date: 03 Apr 2003 15:43:25 -0500

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 14:56, Spam Collector wrote:
> I thought I remembered seeing a post here describing the
> use of a shell command to connect to a database, so that you
> you could query the DB to find clients that quit 'phoning
> home'.  Unfortunately, now that I want to set up something
> like that I can't find the reference.  Has anyone here
> tried something like that, or how do you make sure machines
> aren't removed from cfengine's control (either accidentally
> or deliberately) without you knowing about it?

I wrote a script that looks through /var/cfengine/ppkeys,
finds all the IP addresses listed there and builds a list of
systems that the cfengine server thinks are supposed to be
running agents.  Using that list, I have another script that
does a cfrun command to each host and just parses out the ones
that fail (for any reason).  It generates a summary hostname
list followed by the individual cfrun outputs for each of the
failed hosts.  It seems to work pretty well.

        David

--
David J. Bianco <bianco@jlab.org>