Re: single host getting "authentication dialog incorrect"

From: Brian E. Seppanen
Subject: Re: single host getting "authentication dialog incorrect"
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:38:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Luke A. Kanies wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've had a small portion of my network running cfengine successfully for a
> few months now, and about two weeks ago, a single host on my network
> suddenly began notifying me that the challenge responses it is getting are
> incorrect.
>
> It really is only this one host out of about 15 that is having this
> problem, so I'm pretty confused.  I've verified that everyone has all of
> the correct keys, both on server and client side, I've wiped and refreshed
> the config on the broken client, I've done everything I can think of.
>
> The problem isn't consistent, in that it only happens about 2/3 times when
> running out of cfexecd, but it never happens when I run it manually,
> either using cfagent or cfexecd.
>
> Anyone have any places I can look?  I'm pretty confused at this point.  I
> thought it could be resource contention or something, but it's only one
> host, and I can't see any resource spike during the failures.
>
> This is 2.0.4 on Solaris.

I had a similar problem which I think I tracked down to an extra space in
a cfservd ACL once, but I could just be on crack... I had upgraded to
2.0.5 and still had periodic problems, until I eliminated the space.  The
problem host was immediately after the two spaces

I'd be very interested in if this turns out the case because it would seem
to be such an innocous error, and I don't quite believe it myself.

Hope that helps.

Brian Seppanen
seppy@chartermi.net
906-228-4226 ext 23