RE: Complications with CFExecd as a child of init

From: Wheeler, John
Subject: RE: Complications with CFExecd as a child of init
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:22:33 -0600

I run cfexecd out of init as well. I was pretty displeased with how this
performed overall. I found that if a cfagent hung, or took to long for
some reason, that it would block another cfagent process from spawning
on its defined schedule. This gave me numerous headaches as I convinced
many here that cfengine could be a replacement for cron.

Now I run two cfexecd on a given host. One from init that does nothing
but verify cron is running, and the other from cron.

I don't like this solution, but I didn't have a better solution for
solving both time critical jobs, as well as availability of the
configuration agent.

I think I tried to have a cfagent task kill the cfexecd process to
restart it. If I remember correctly this was pretty nasty. Since cfexecd
is the parent and cfagent doesn't disconnect/detach from the parent it
would kill itself. Kinda like doing kill -9 $$.