conditional import for other than hostname?

From: Steve Wray
Subject: conditional import for other than hostname?
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 12:45:44 +1200

I note that in the reference guide it says;

"import

To break up a large configuration file into smaller files you can use
the include directive. This conditionally reads in files if the class
on the left hand side of the assignment matches the host parsing the
file. This enables also a variety of cfengine configuration scripts to
read in a standard set of default settings. "

I especially note where it says;

"left hand side of the assignment matches the host"

and it seems as if it really means it.

I have something like this;
import:
   Etc_Props_Gotten::
      etc_copy.cf
      svn_etc_links.cf
      svn_etc_files.cf
      svn_etc_dirs.cf

later on;

shellcommands:
   Etc_Updates::
      "/usr/bin/svn update"
      chdir=/home/roepc/working_copy/roe_pc_etc
      "/usr/local/bin/svnpropget.pl"
      chdir=/home/roepc/working_copy/roe_pc_etc
      "/bin/cp -avf svn*.cf /etc/cfengine/"
      chdir=/home/roepc/working_copy/roe_pc_etc
      define=Etc_Props_Gotten

and in the control section;

   actionsequence = (
      shellcommands
      directories editfiles copy files links
      rename tidy
   )

I know that the shell commands exit sucessfuly, but the imports just
don't happen. This is disturbing.

I am now assuming that the *only* conditional that cfengine will accept
for an import is a hostname. Would this be correct?

If so *arrrrgh!* why??

thanks!