Re: import behaviour

From: Brendan Strejcek
Subject: Re: import behaviour
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:01:29 -0600

Pau Capdevila/Upcnet wrote:

> import:
>     20041105_00::
>             update_20041105_00.conf
>     20041105_01::
>             update_20041105_01.conf

The above is probably what you want, you just have to make sure that
the classes are defined before the import takes place. The way cfengine
orders this sort of thing confuses me, but you might want to try running
your module with PrepModule.

http://www.cfengine.org/docs/cfengine-Reference.html#Evaluated%20classes%20and%20special%20functions

Or some fancy ReturnsZero(/bin/sh -c "...") magic in the classes: section,
but that is not very clean.

> And if I write it like that it doesn't finish the whole initial parse
> because the update_*.conf files are not found:
>
>     20041105_00::
>         import:
>             update_20041105_00.conf
>     20041105_01::
>         import:
>             update_20041105_01.conf

The above syntax is wrong (or at least misleading by virtue of the
indentation).

> If it was the initial deployment I would copy all the update files
> within update.conf. But now I can't modify it and assure that in the
> future the installed workstatinons that have been installed and not
> being booted in will enter correctly in the update cycle.

I don't understand what you mean. You could have update.conf do a
recursive copy of some hierarchy and just add files to that hierarchy
later. If you do that you can add new files in the future without
modifying update.conf (I cheat and keep directories full of stuff under
inputs; in that way they get copied around to all my machines without
any other copy statements necessary).