RE: Unable to lookup hostname or cfengine service

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: RE: Unable to lookup hostname or cfengine service
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:50:16 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Atom Powers wrote:

I've just started using cfengine and I'm having a similar problem on some of
my systems. But I know the hostname and cfengine service are working. It can
copy the files into /var/cfengine/inputs (from update.conf), but not the copy
commands in my cf.main. This same script works on some systems, but seems not
to work on the ones that are dual-homed. Cfengine v.2.1.10, FreeBSD 5.3
(server and clients) and FreeBSD 4.10 (clients).

sudo cfagent -v
<snip>
Connect to vesta0.pyramidbrew.com = 192.168.0.22 on port cfengine
cfengine:titan0: Unable to lookup hostname or cfengine service: No address
associated with hostname
cfengine:titan0: Couldn't open a socket
cfengine:titan0: Unable to establish connection with vesta0.pyramidbrew.com
(failover)
<snip>

host vesta0.pyramidbrew.com
vesta0.pyramidbrew.com has address 192.168.0.22

host 192.168.0.22
22.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer vesta0.pyramidbrew.com.

1.      Am I right in assuming that these host commands were run on titan0?
2.      Have you checked the DNS settings for titan0

grep cfengine /etc/services
cfengine        5308/tcp
cfengine        5308/udp

[from vesta0]
netstat -a | grep cfengine
tcp4       0      0  *.cfengine             *.*                    LISTEN

----
Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.

Atom Powers
Systems Administrator
Pyramid Breweries Inc.
206.682.8322 x251