Re: solaris $(class) considered harmful

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Re: solaris $(class) considered harmful
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:36:23 -0600

So do you want solarissparc defined as a class?  Or do you want the
$(class) variable to be sparc?

I don't have an x86 solaris box but I am making the assumption it is
solarisx86 (after looking at the code).

My interpretation of the Rule Of Least Surprise suggests that the correct behavior would be for

a) the 'solaris' class to be set on any Solaris system
b) the $(class) variable to be set to a value that gives us the same information on all systems.

In the case of $(class) on Solaris, you get 'solaris' if the system runs on Sparc hardware and 'solarisx86' if you are running on Intel. I would think that these values should either be the same, or both contain the same information (OS + hardware).

Why don't you just do

solaris.sparc::
  Do stuff

solarisx86::
  Do other stuff
I could also add a comment to make it more explicit.

The point is that it is very counterintutive for the 'solaris' class to be a term that specifically means Sparc, and therefore be undefined on Intel.

There are other reasons as well, pertaining to passing $(class) into scripts. It is tidier if it gives me the same info everywhere.

--

Chip Seraphine
Unix Administrator