Patches vs. Packages

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Patches vs. Packages
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:34:54 +1100 (EST)

Hi all. My system doesn't have to deal with patches (being a Linux system and all), but I was wondering if it would be effective to treat patches as a type of package.

Common features (guessing here):
-       Install, Upgrade, Remove, and Checkversion are the main actions
-       Both have dependencies
-

Would it be reasonable to treat patches as a case of packages? Can I have some input from someone who knows about patches? (Chip? :) ).

        :)

--
Tim Nelson
Server Administrator