free space reports

From: Yaroslav Halchenko
Subject: free space reports
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 11:35:06 -0400

I'm getting confused with one of the hosts reporting low space in one of
the partitions:

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 07:35:10AM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> cfengine:ravana: Free disk space is under 20% for partition
> cfengine:ravana: containing /var (1% free)

when I df  it, it shows plenty of space:

ravana[0] /boot/fai/pxelinux.cfg>df /var
/dev/sda7              1542156    995644    546512  65% /var

and if I manually run cfagent -v then I get

Checking free space on /var
Free space above -20, defining

so everything looks ok...

does it mean that I have some beast process which dumps 0.5GB into var
from time to time and removes it immediately? or there is something else
to check for?

Yaroslav Halchenko
  Graduate Student  CS Dept. UNM,  ABQ
        Linux User  175555