Re: Need 'UncommentAndSetValue' or some such

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Re: Need 'UncommentAndSetValue' or some such
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 18:16:54 -0500

Luke Kanies wrote:

I think editfiles should be essentially replaced with a system that allows

people to manage objects contained in files (hosts in /etc/hosts, services
in /etc/services, filesystems in /etc/fstab, cron jobs in
/var/spool/crontabs/*) as objects, not as lines in a file.  The reason
editfiles is so complicated is because it's the wrong approach for complete
management.

I certainly agree that editfiles is not as good a solution as something that actually understands the file format; however, I take issue with "replaced". There are still many uses for editfiles other than editing config files that will be parsed by some program, and there will always be config files that no "smart" config tool knows how to parse.

I'm all for new and improved functionality, but there is and probably always will be a use for something like editfiles.