SplayTime not working as expected

From: Paul Krizak
Subject: SplayTime not working as expected
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 09:43:04 -0600

I'm managing a large cfengine installation and am trying to use a SplayTime of 120 minutes across the hosts, along with a schedule parameter to tell cfexecd when to run.

I *want* cfexecd to "start" on all the systems at 6AM, then have all the systems wait for up to 120 minutes to actually do the work, thus evenly distributing the load over a 2 hour period.

I've got

SplayTime = ( 120 )

in update.conf, and

schedule = ( Hr06.Min00_05 )

in cf.classes (included by cfagent.conf). This has the following strage result: it runs cfagent on all the systems spread evenly between the two 5-minute windows between 6:00 - 6:05 and 7:00 - 7:05. This isn't quite what I had in mind.

If I change the schedule parameter to something like ( Hr06 ), then cfagent runs repeatedly on the system during the 6AM hour. This isn't correct either.

What magic incantation do I have to do to make cfexecd "kick off" at 6AM and spread the load out over two hours, with it running just once per day?

--

Paul Krizak                         5900 E. Ben White Blvd. MS 625
Advanced Micro Devices              Austin, Tx  78741