Re: Locking for temporary ad-hoc changes?

From: Brendan Strejcek
Subject: Re: Locking for temporary ad-hoc changes?
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 15:28:21 -0600

Wil Cooley wrote:

> What seems like it would be fairly straightforward to implement
> would be a user-initiated locking mechanism, so that a locked file
> would not be updated but an alert generated that the file was wrong
> date/checksum/etc. Something like this:
>
> # cflock /etc/httpd/conf.d/foo.conf
> # vi /etc/httpd/conf.d/foo.conf
> # cflock -u /etc/httpd/conf.d/foo.conf

I just do "killall cfagent; killall cfexecd" (or pkill) and start them
back up when I am done with my tests. I have a cron job that reports if
the correct cfengine processes are not running on a box in case I forget
to turn them back on or in case they go away for some other reason.

The only reason I could see needing more sophisticated locking is if
some other human is likely to restart cfengine without communicating
with the admin doing the ad-hoc changes.

Best,
Brendan

--
Senior System Administrator