Re: convergence and undoing changes

From: Alva Couch
Subject: Re: convergence and undoing changes
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:27:21 -0500

A few of you have expressed concern about my bluntness in
discussing cfengine's limitations. I apologise to Mark
and the list for this; they deserve better from me.

I am in awe of Mark and cfengine and do not mean to detract
from either cfengine or its author. I know that it represents
the easiest tool to use that is currently available for
managing networks.  This is why I stopped developing my own
tools and study it instead; to figure out how to make the 'best
thing so far' even better.

I have replaced the talk slides mentioned previously with what I
hope is a more equitable description of the limitations that I
am trying to address. Please try not to take these limitations
as destructive criticism; they are in fact issues outside the
declared scope of cfengine and may need to be addressed from
outside of the framework that it provides, through practice or
external tools.

Dr. Alva L. Couch
Associate Professor of Computer Science
Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Tufts University, 161 College Avenue, Medford, MA 02155
Phone: +1 (617) 627-3674