Re: Strange copying

From: Roger Harrysson
Subject: Re: Strange copying
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 11:27:33 +0100

Thanks Frank, and thanks Mark,

Eveything is clear now. The nightly backup changes the ctime. Since my cfengine configuration is using the ctime instead of
mtime I don't see the reason for the copy with a simple ls -l.

Again, many thanks,
Roger Harrysson

Frank Ranner wrote:

Roger Harrysson wrote:

I use cfenigne from cron. It runs every 30 minutes and works fine.
Mostly I copy files from the server if they have chenged on the cfengine server. However, everytime a change a file on the server I get the copy done twice! One time correct (at most 30 minutes after the change), but also one time at 01:30 in the morning.

Why this second copy when the file already is in place?

Can I stop this misbehavour?

The problem is that when I change a file on the client there should be no copy from the server, but there is.
AT 01:30 IN THE NIGHT! When noone is around to fix the problem.

We have currently taken away cfengine from all our servers, since we can not live with this risk.
Sad for such a good software.

Kind regards,
Roger Harrysson

Use mtime on your copies. The default is ctime which will clash with backups (which you are presumably running around 1am?) The problem with backups is that they change atime because the must open and read the file. Then they reset atime back to it's original value, which changes ctime! Thus triggering a pointless copy next time cfagent runs.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!

regard,
Frank Ranner

Roger Harrysson