help-cgicc

Re: [help-cgicc] howto use fcgi-test.cpp?

From: U.Mutlu
Subject: Re: [help-cgicc] howto use fcgi-test.cpp?
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 19:42:27 +0100

Igor Franchuk wrote, On 02/11/12 14:29:
Hello U.Mutlu,

Saturday, February 11, 2012, 4:50:59 AM, you wrote:

UM>  Hi,
UM>  can someone please tell me how to test the fcgi-test.cpp demo?
UM>  What else is needed?
UM>  I'm using the nginx webserver.

To assemble you would need:

cgicc
http://www.gnu.org/software/cgicc/

libfcgi
http://www.fastcgi.com/drupal/

To run:

If you're planning to run fcgi-test.cpp with Apache -
mod_fastcgi
I'm not sure how fastcgi is implemented in nginx, but
something similar is sure there.

I found fcgi-test.cpp in the archive of cgicc.
Building fcgi-test.cpp brings linker errors, it is also
commented out in the Makefile of cgicc, I guess because of the link errors.

Never mind, I found another, much simpler, solution: use SCGI instead of
FastCGI.
My first tests with mod_scgi in nginx are positive (using a test SCGIserver of
my own
(a simple socket server which accepts connections, reads all sent data, and
sends back
a test answer).
I think cgicc should be usable for SCGI clients too, but haven't tested it yet.
And it's a matter of taste/choice whether one wants to start external clients
processes (ie. programms/apps)
or rather wants to handle the job inside the SCGIserver.

To make a long story short: for me SCGI works and it's sufficient for my
requirements.
If someone asks me which way to go I would recommend use SCGI instead of
FastCGI,
because SCGI is much simpler, just compare the protocol specs:
http://python.ca/scgi/protocol.txt
http://www.fastcgi.com/devkit/doc/fcgi-spec.html